What Should I Do if I Get a Call that a Relative or Friend Has Been Arrested?
The Guthrie Firm gets as many calls from relatives and friends as from potential clients. Typically these people are distraught, and are desperate for help. If this is you, don’t worry; we know what to do.
First, if a friend or relative calls stating that they have been arrested, get as much information from them as possible. Remember that if they are calling from the jail or police department the phone call may be monitored, but at least try to obtain the following bits of information:
- Date of birth
- Social security number
- Nature of the charges
- Name of the law enforcement agency that made the arrest
- Where they are being held
- Information about bail (Has it been set? Amount?)
And do us all a favor and tell the person NOT to make a statement until you hire a lawyer for them.
Second, make a phone call to one of two places:
- Bail agent: if your friend or relative’s bail has been set, you can “take matters into your own hands” and call a bail agent, if you know one, or can find one quickly. Most bail agents are very good about springing into action and getting people out of jail (if it is possible, and if the bail premium can be posted).
- The Guthrie Firm, PLLC: or you can call us, and let us do everything. We have relationships with bail agents everywhere, and can monitor and direct the entire process. In most criminal cases, the earlier you get a lawyer involved, the better the outcome will be.
Contact Attorney Clarence T. Guthrie III
To speak with a Mississippi criminal defense lawyer about state or federal criminal charges, contact The Guthrie Firm, PLLC in Ridgeland, Mississippi, on County Line Road very close to Jackson. To schedule a free consultation with attorney Clarence T. Guthrie III, call 601-991-1099 or toll-free at 866-991-1055. Feel free to contact us by email as well.