If you have been arrested, the main thing you must do is fight to keep your mind right. Do not panic or get belligerent with law enforcement. Giving officers a hard time during the arrest process can actually hurt your case. In fact, it is best not to speak to them at all other than simple identification information.
Here is what you need to do:
- Stay calm, and be as polite and respectful as possible.
- Do not make any sudden movements.
- Give the police your name and address, but DO NOT say ANYTHING else. If they press you (and they probably will), do your best to politely tell them that you want your lawyer there before you say anything else.
- DO NOT consent to any searches of your car, house, or property.
- Try to remember as much as you can, including witnesses, surroundings, and descriptions of the officers. Write it all down as soon as you can.
- Call Clarence as soon as you can for a free evaluation of your case.
Contact Attorney Clarence T. Guthrie III
To speak with a Mississippi criminal defense lawyer about state or federal criminal charges, contact The Guthrie Firm, PLLC in Ridgeland, Mississippi, on County Line Road very close to Jackson. To schedule a free consultation with attorney Clarence T. Guthrie III, call 601-991-1099 or toll-free at 866-991-1055. Feel free to contact us by email as well.